The League is a social intra-club competition that gives both graded and ungraded players an opportunity to play other Wanaka members at about the same level. There is a autumn, winter, spring and summer league.
League may be for national grading points (main winter season) or a non-point handicapped version (shoulder seasons).
- usually run on Monday and Tuesday night from 6:00 to 9:00pm
- mixed gender
- comprised of 8 teams of 4-5 levels - level 1 being the more accomplished players and 5 being those fairly new to the game
- an opportunity to meet new playing partners
- an opportunity to support your team
- an opportunity to support the club by buying something from bar (it doesn’t have to contain alcohol!). This pays for the heat-pump that helps the ball to bounce in the depths of winter.
- are organised by the Duty Team.
Other useful stuff:
- If you win:
- you shout the other player a something from the bar.
- you move your name one place above your partner (if higher-placed) on the club ladder
- all games you win are aggregated into a team score.
- the team with the most points at the end of the round wins a bar tab
- You ref a game every night
- Team captains organise the open and closing of the club and bar
- If you can’t play, contact your partner AND organise a reserve. Don’t just tell someone that might be playing that evening. Contact details are in the draw or on the contact list on the website. Please don’t leave your partner without a game or a surprise change.
- Games must be played on the designated night. You really need to be there to make it a social event. If you don't make it, you don't get points.
- Pennants rolls over to a new round after 7 weeks. You stay pretty much where you are unless you ask for something different - e.g. you tell the organiser if you can't play the upcoming round.
- If you’d like to play but can’t commit to every game, you can put your name on the reserve list
A Squash NZ graded competition played over a week and ending with finals on Saturday night for club members. Determines champions for each grade within the club and a number of other awards such as Most Improved. You must be graded to play.
Queens Birthday Open
A Squash NZ graded competition open to all NZ squash players. Played over a week and ending with finals on Saturday night on Queens Birthday weekend. You must be graded to play.
A social competition played in one day that all members can play.
- Draws will be done in 8’s or 4’s and everyone will have 3 games over one day. Scoring similar to Summer Rules but no handicap for 2nd game.
- Entries will be limited so we can ensure all games are played. Points will NOT go to grading.
- Each person plays 3 matches.
- Match times:Warm-up: 3min (buzzer will signal end of warm-up), 1st game: 10 mins, ½ time(buzzer will signal end of 1 min break), 2nd game: 10 mins
- Games will start around 10:00am
- When buzzer goes at end of either game and points are tied, next point wins the game – as per Summer League rules.
- For the 2ndgame, both players start off at nil all.
- At the end of play if games are tied 1-all, then a 3rd game is played until one player reaches 5 points. Please mark and ref the game straight after yours.